Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Fried Zucchini

As I've gone through this pregnancy, I keep hoping that I'll start to crave healthy snacks or meals. So far, it's not happening. The only healthy thing I've ever craved is milk, which is good I guess.
Last night, we had dinner at my in-laws house. They had fried zucchini, pork steaks, mashed potatoes, and peas. I was in love with the fried zucchini! I had never had it before and it was tasty. Today, I found myself craving it again! I'm craving zucchini....so what if it's fried. :D I ran to Wal-Mart just to pick up some zucchini so I could make this tasty snack. My 3 year old even loved this!


Fried Zucchini:
2 zucchini, sliced                     1/2 teaspoon salt
1 onion, sliced into rings          1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup all purpose flour           1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 cup cornmeal                     1 cup vegetable oil, for frying


1. Place zucchini and onions in a medium bowl and mix together.
2. In a small bowl (or ziplock bag) mix flour, cornmeal, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
3. Pour dry mixture over zucchini/onion mixutre, cover bowl and shake well. Let mixture sit for about 30 minutes; a batter will form on the veggies.
4. In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat. When oil is hot add breaded vegetables and fry, turning to brown evenly.
5. Place on a plate lined with paper towel. Sprinkle with salt as they come out of the oil. Let cool and enjoy!


Note: I added grated Parmesan to the flour mixture for a little more flavor. I also used Italian bread crumbs instead of cornmeal (I didn't have any on hand).

No comments:

Post a Comment