Monday, August 22, 2011

Low-Cal Fettuccine Alfredo

Okay who doesn't love a nice big bowl of fettuccine alfredo? I know I do. I love the stuff! But then I look at the calories and freak out. Sadly, it's hard to find a recipe that isn't made with tons of heavy cream and fat. But, after many attempts at making my own, I found a recipe that works just for what I need. It's one of the most flavorful versions of fettuccine alfredo that I've ever had and it's low in calories! Enjoy!

http://img.foodnetwork.com/FOOD/2011/02/04/RX-FNM_030111-Lighten-Up-012_s4x3_lg.jpg


Low-Cal Fettuccine Alfredo:
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp grated lemon zest
2 tsp all-purpose flour
1 cup low-fat (2%) milk
Kosher salt
2 tbsp Neufchetel or low-fat cream cheese
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
12 oz fresh fettuccine
Freshly ground pepper

1. For the sauce: Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and lemon zest and cook until the garlic is slightly soft, about 1 minute. Add in the flour and cook, 1 minute. Whisk in the milk and 3/4 tsp salt and cook, whisking constantly, until just thickened, about 3 minutes. Add the cream cheese and Parmesan cheese; whisk until melted, about 1 minute. Stir in the chopped parsley.
2. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the fettuccine and cook until al dente. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking water, then drain pasta and return to the pot.
3. Add the sauce and 1/2 cup of the reserved cooking water to the pasta and gently toss to combine, adding more cooking water as needed to loosen. Season with salt. Divide among bowls and top with Parmesan and pepper.


Note: I don't use fresh fettuccine (I don't have the time or energy to even think about making fresh pasta) and the lemon zest is a must!

No comments:

Post a Comment